Pistachio buns, meet pistachio cake.
St Valentine's Day was cancelled in my household because TC has the flu of some sort. Eleven years of flu shots seem to be protecting me thus far from the fever, chills, body aches, and congestion. Then again, I've always thought of St Valentine's Day as more of a day of giving cards and baked goods to relatives and friends instead of a romantic thing. After all, aromantic aces care not for your romantic fancies! Now, if we're talking the Romantic Era, that's another matter...
In a quick search for pistachios, I found that they have varied meanings across different cultures. Typically in the US, people put nasty pistachio pudding mix in just about everything for St Patrick's Day. So there's nothing symbolic or holiday-appropriate about making pistachio cake for St Valentine's Day, other than pistachios are an expensive treat.
If you can only find salted pistachios (what is wrong with eating unsalted nuts, people?!), soak them overnight and rinse them thoroughly. Add 1/2 teaspoon of salt if you are so lucky as to find unsalted pistachios. I can think of several nasty jokes to make about salted nuts and moist cake and what-have-ye, but all I have to do is suggest it, and you'll think of the rest. By the way, this cake is quite moist. See, you don't need commercially-produced pudding to make moist cake!
Modified from King Arthur Flour's Pistachio Cupcakes
- 1 cup sorghum flour
- 1/2 cup GF oat flour
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup soaked, whole pistachios, drained
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2/3 cup sugar (I used a mix of organic cane and coconut sugars)
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 3 tablespoons warm water
- 5 tablespoons vegan margarine
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 cup whole pistachios
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line an 8*8-inch pan with parchment and grease the parchment.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, sift then whisk together the flours, baking powder, and xanthan gum.
- In a blender, blitz the 3/4 cup pistachios, sugar, non-dairy milk, flaxseed, water, and extracts until smooth.
- With the stand mixer running, add the blitzed pistachio conglomeration and mix until combined.
- Stir in the remaining 1/4 cup pistachios.
- Transfer the cake batter to the prepared pan.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until the cake springs back to the touch.
- Remove from the oven and cool completely in the pan on a rack before serving.
[caption id="attachment_5286" align="aligncenter" width="300"] Cake for Foamy Bun[/caption]
Carrot Pineapple Salad is my favourite salad. Yes, there are raisins in it, but it is known as only "Carrot Pineapple Salad" or "Double Health Salad." It's a can (or two) of drained pineapple chunks (bonus pineapple juice), as many carrots as you can stand to grate, and a handful or three of raisins.
Another successful loaf.
Must post the obligatory "down the loaf" shot.
Perfect timing for my seven-year veganniversary (14 February)--new-to-me London After Midnight CDs and merch!! The bee-free Ecolips lip balm arrived at the same time, no connection.
I searched my music collection and using the results, put this together on YouTube: rather...message-y songs that have "America" in the title, plus some Gogol Bordello. I claim zero responsibility for images and ads. Play here.